At Sixe Engineering we have been providing official IBM training around the world for over 12 years. Get the best training from our specialists in Europe. We have important discounts and offers for two or more students.
|IBM course code: CMW30G||Category: IMS / Administrator IMS|
|Delivery: Online & on-site**||Course length in days: 10|
This is an advanced course for IMS system programmers, Data Base Administrators (DBA) and technical support individuals who are responsible for the performance of IMS Databases.
You should complete:
- Physical Organization of Databases (CM220)
- or IMS Physical Organization of Databases Workshop – Web (CMW22)
and have the six to twelve months experience with the IMS database system needed to understand IMS Database design choices.
Prerequisite knowledge includes being able to:
- Describe the physical storage and processing characteristics of Hierarchical Indexed Sequential Access Method (HISAM), Hierarchical Indexed Direct Access Method (HIDAM), and Hierarchical Direct Access Method (HDAM) access methods.
- Code the Data Base Definitions (DBD) and Program Specification Blocks (PSB) macros to implement secondary indexing, HISAM, HIDAM, and HDAM physical databases.
- Describe the physical storage characteristics of secondary indexes.
- Describe the PSB and programming requirements and processing characteristics when using a secondary index.
- Use the IMS utilities to load and reorganize logically related databases with secondary indexes.
- Use Virtual Storage Access Method (VSAM)s access method services to delete and define the Key-Sequenced Data Set (KSDS) and Entry-Sequenced Data Set (ESDS) data sets needed to support the database environment.
- Use reports created by the database tool's program, DBD/PSB/ACB Mapper
- Specify buffers for VSAM data set supported databases
The great majority of the IBM courses we offer are taught directly by our engineers. This is the only way we can guarantee the highest quality. We complement all the training with our own materials and laboratories, based on our experience during the deployments, migrations and courses that we have carried out during all these years.
Our courses are deeply role oriented. To give an example, the needs for technology mastery are different for developer teams and for the people in charge of deploying and managing the underlying infrastructure. The level of previous experience is also important and we take it very seriously. That is why beyond (boring) commands and tasks, we focus on solving the problems that arise in the day to day of each team. Providing them with the knowledge, competencies and skills required for each project. In addition, our documentation is based on the latest version of each product.
Agenda and course syllabus
- Introduction to IMS database tuning
- Introduction to the lab project
- Review of the IMS access methods
- Measuring IMS database performance
- Tuning VSAM buffers
- Tuning VSAM data sets
- Additional performance issues
- Tuning secondary indexes
- Tuning HDAM
- Tuning OSAM data sets and buffers
- Other tuning considerations
- Database tuning summary
Do you need to adapt this syllabus to your needs? Are you interested in other courses? Ask us without obligation.
Locations for on-site delivery
- Austria: Vienna
- Belgium: Brussels, Ghent
- Denmark: Cophenhagen
- Estonia: Tallinn
- Finland: Helsinki
- France: Paris, Marseille, Lyon
- Germany: Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Hamburg
- Greece: Athens, Thessaloniki
- Italy: Rome
- Louxemburg: Louxembourg (city)
- Netherlands: Amsterdam
- Norway: Oslo
- Portugal: Lisbon, Braga, Porto, Coimbra
- Slovakia: Bratislava
- Slovenia: Bratislava
- Spain: Madrid, Sevilla, Valencia, Barcelona, Bilbao, Málaga
- Sweden: Stockholm
- Turkey: Ankara
- United Kingdom: London